Pig Project

Hi all thought id start a blog even though I've not got it home yet .

It's a humber pig but apart from that i know very little .

Have read up on others blogs here and wonder if anyone could shed some light on it's past as I see that someone can go backwards from the Reg.No and find out about there past's

Anyway here's some pics to be going along with

P1030114.jpg

P1030117.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now i know why they are called PIG's . It took 2 hours to get the fan belts on, only one stripped knuckle.

Also I drained the fuel tanks and was there a lot of grunge that came out so I now have 30 odd liters of petrol to start bonfires with. Emptied the fuel filter out and topped back up with fresh petrol. And topped up the radiator it only took 2 litres of water and when it was full it was good to see blue antifreeze so the system should have had some protection.

Topped up the brake fluid , changed the oil in the air filter , what a great set up never seen anything like that , the nearest is a K&N filter.

And boy am i glad that I've got imperial as well as metric spanners and sockets, things you never think about until you do something like this.

Tried to start it but slight problem the batteries I took down had about a ant's fart of a amp in them but still there's always tomorrow , better go and get the charger out .

And that's today at the pig covvies for the wash , and a cold beer

Jamie

Jamie it sounds as if you are getting well stuck. Fan belts shouldn't be too difficult as long as you get the dynamo really pulled in close to the engine.

As yours is a Mk 2 you will have the 2-speed 25A dynamo. The dynamo gearbox is fed oil from the engine. If the engine has stood idle for more than 3 weeks it needs to be primed with 1/4 pint of engine oil, this is to protect the bearings until the engine starts pumping oil.

This priming point is under a brass bolt on the top of the dynamo near the pulley, do not put oil down the meshed hole which is the air vent! Failure to oil will not be immediately catastrophic, but regular abuse will cause the gearbox to fail & it will not charge on low revs but above appx 1200 rpm will still be ok.

Be wary of the choke, fully out is too far for our climate, halfway is adequate. I have actually disconnected my choke cable as I don't find it is needed & there is no worry that the choke cable being fully returned in.

The technique I use is to pedal the accelerator twice. Leave it alone, leave the choke off. Then start up, but keep your foot off the accelerator or at most depress it only about a tenth of its travel.

Clive, mine is a Mk2 and has'nt got a two speed dynamo.

Well I never! Don't think I can recall seeing a single speed on a Mk 2. I assume that it must be the original dynamo from its Mk 1 days, so it has done very well. There was no EMER that I know of for a mass upgrade, I assume on failure then individual vehicles were upgraded to having a 25A source rather than 12A.

Well after spending most of the morning trying to start the PIG i admitted defeat and got her lifted to base.

After unloading started to tinker and tried again and it bloody started god i got such a fright and what a noise.

So its tidy time first job i think is to get the fuel tanks off and cleaned internally and get all the rubbish out of them .

Jamie

Edited by poppypiesdad

So, Poppies Dad. Has Poppies Mum seen it............. was she impressed?......

does she wonder why you haven't been able to get to sleep the last few days............... has she filed for divorce yet...........:-D

Wimmin eh............. some just don't understand..........some can't see the potential..........sad innit.

You, like me, in this situation can see it all restored, standing proudly by a piece of history at a show, telling wide eyed children all about what it was meant for and the things it did.

Great pictures, and your excitement shows in the posts. Every time you look at it you find something you didn't know about it. Hearing it run for the first time and driving it under its own power. :-D Great stuff

Hi all and hi Clive the only numbers that I've found on the engine was a small plate 1/2"x1" on the drivers side of the rocker cover just below the tappet clearance information plate.

I think it reads RE15056 and underneath FV141926 ( very small writing )

and this one on the bulkhead passenger side

on the exhaust manifold side there was this plate

P1030190.jpg

P1030187.jpg

Hi all and hi Clive the only numbers that I've found on the engine was a small plate 1/2"x1" on the drivers side of the rocker cover just below the tappet clearance information plate.

I think it reads RE15056 and underneath FV141926 ( very small writing )

and this one on the bulkhead passenger side

Hi,

The small plate with RE and FV number is a Rolls Royce part number (RE).

The black engine rebuild plate shows the engine was overhauled by 41 Command Workshop REME, at Strenshall, York........now long gone sadly.

The engine number is on a plate, below the exhaust manifold on the side of the block to the front, about 4" long x 1" high approx.

Edited by Richard Farrant